08 July, 2011

The Studying Part

It's been a relatively quiet past few days, but I've tried to throw in a few fun activities, even if it's just spending some time by Schlachtensee, the lake that's a 3 minute bike ride from my apartment, or trying out a new cafe. And I've been doing some reflecting on the time I still have left here. Don't worry, I won't share all my thoughts here! I know what kind of attention span I'm dealing with here.

Last weekend was chilly and rainy, so I spent most of Saturday, Sunday and Monday studying close to home. I visited the Fotographie Museum on Saturday afternoon as a little field trip, and that was interesting, although it wasn't that big. The main exhibit is a collection of the photographers by Helmut Newton, a Vogue photographer who "revolutionized" fashion photography.

Tuesday evening, after my morning Jazzercise (Emma and I have been attending a Jazzercise class since April and it's been a fun way to get some exercise!) and a meeting with my program director/professor about my final paper, Emma and I decided we wanted a little break, since we'd both been studying for exams all weekend, so we caught the end of the Germany-France women's world cup game at a Biergarten very close to our apartments. The temperature was comfortable and there were a few older Germans sitting around the TV on the covered patio, and the game was a good one with Germany capturing a close win. There's extra interest in this year's championship because Germany is hosting it.

At Seestern Biergarten

Then on Wednesday was my first exam! It was in my Berliner Phantastik class, in which we read and discussed works by E.T.A Hoffman, Alfred Döblin, Ricarda Junge, and a few other German authors )if you don't recognize any of those names don't worry about it, I only recognized one or two names on the reading list going into the class). I had studied after watching the soccer game, and since the exam wasn't till noon I was able to put in a couple more hours before going to class, so I felt prepared. I think it went well. I know I did decently, and I know also that I hold myself to a very high standard, so I am hoping that I might have even done well.

Wednesday evening the US was playing Sweden in the women's world cup. Emma's friend had found a game watch at a club in Kreuzberg which I believe was sponsered by the US and Swedish embassies. There were a ton of people there for both teams, so it made for a very exciting atmosphere. The game was aggressive and fast paced but sadly the US lost 1-2. The elimination rounds start tomorrow.

Giving away a "Team America" jersey between halves

Yesterday and today I've been doing some serious work on my 10-page paper (that and one big exam are the only two things I have left). Since I had to work I figured I might as well at least work in fun places, so I tried out two different cafes I found from this great blog called "Cafekultur Berlin." Thursday's cafe: Bilderbuch Cafe in Schöneberg. I loved the atmosphere, they had super comfy couches and arm chairs, and swing jazz and oldies playing in the background.

Any place with so many old books and armchairs just has to be awesome.

Today I visited Cafe Golzo, also in Schöneberg, and again had a great and productive experience. My big cappucino was delicious and although it was smaller it also had a friendly vibe and comfortable seats.

Modern and relaxing

Time has been flying by since about June, and now that I'm realizing I only have a few more weeks in this city I've come to know and love I've been doing some reflecting, in order to enjoy these last weeks as much as possible. I've been trying to find the balance between looking forward to being reunited with the friends and family I love and miss, and enjoying this month without wishing it away. It's tough. Yes, I miss the people at home and want to see them again, but there's no way I can say I've "done" Berlin already, and "I'm ready to go home" is both false and a little negative for me. Yet however much I love Berlin, and however much I would love to continue soaking in this city's culture, Kultur and language, I realize that the semester must end and I have to go home eventually, in order for other awesome experiences, like my last year at Notre Dame. It's give and take. Here's to the next three weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Aw, Mo... I'm sad for you that you're leaving so soon because it sounds like you've loved everything... but I'm so excited to see you in the fall!!! And it sounds like you have a good mentality about all of it (meaning you don't appear to have plans to run off and live in Germany forever), which is definitely good for those of us missing you over here!

    Live it up, Mo :-)

    ReplyDelete